So I have been on board for five days know. Boy is life different on board and without the freedom to go where you want. We have started working and planning the summer program for the next four weeks. I am thankful for all my years at camp, especially my one year in day camp on the grounds. All you HTR, WMR and WMDC people lots of ideas are being used here on the AFRICA MERCY. We have for weeks with four themes. Week one is HERO’s, yes we are doing a Super Hero Day. I am thinking of an idea. I am in charge of the openings every morning and we are planning skits. Week two is Baobab Blast, or a Safari. Being in Africa it is great to go on a safari although we are in a city. I have some great ideas already in my head for this week. Week three and four are still being decided on. We are either doing Pirates or something called planet zoom. I love the pirates one and we have not looked at the planet zoom one. I thought it was planets but someone said it is bees. We shall see.
So working in the Academy we are working with one group of people with very different people who have very different ways of doing and accomplishing things. We have one girl still in college, an international school teachers, a Mennonite school teacher from Indiana, a South African student taking a year of to let God send her around, and a teacher from Texas. I have found that when things are scattered and much unorganized I take control. Whether this is a good thing or not I am not sure but I am looking to see how God is going to us this. I am learning a lot about patience.
Beside the Academy aspect, living on a ship is like living in a college dorm. Lots of people all over and always up to something. Because the World Cup is going on, the common areas are normally full of people watching a game. Now this is not like watching a football game at home. It is almost like the Super bowl three times a day depending on who is playing. I have watched a few games and have found that I am enjoying them more and more.
I went walking on the deck the other day with one of the girls I arrived with the other day. While we were out there it was so beautiful that I just had to share the view with you.
On Tuesday Morning about 10:00am we lost the ability to go to shore and leave the boat. They called in all the client workers due to demonstrations in town. My friend who works in the dental client said that they were protesting right near the client and the roads were blocked. All during that day we received updates on what was going on in town and whether or not we could go to town or not. By Wednesday, they were calling in anyone who lived off ship and letting day volunteers stay on the ship instead of heading back to town. We were all feeling trapped at this point so I suggested we go out and run or walk the dock after dinner. I ran a mile and then walked a mile. After running the mile I felt pretty sick but walking helped ease that. As we were running/ walking, it started to rain and this morning we were given back shore leave as long as we were in groups and were in shuttles. I get to get off the ship tomorrow to see some of the sights for field trips and to see if I think I can drive one of the Mercy Ship vehicles. I will not be driving just yet but probably next week.
I am excited for Saturday because I am going to an orphanage in town.
I cannot wait to tell you about my day today but right know I need to go to bed.
Pray that the demonstrations in town stay down so we can leave the ship and dock.
Trusting,
Heather
No comments:
Post a Comment