About Me

My photo
I have been the Pre-Kindergarten Teacher at Loudonville Christian School for 4 years. I have a degree in Early Childhood Education as well as a degree in Liberal Arts. I have taught a variety of grades but enjoy teaching Pre–K the best. I enjoy seeing students learn new things. I have 3 siblings and 7 nieces and nephews. I am originally from Boston, love the ocean and the BOSTON RED SOX. One of my favorite units to teach is Dr. Seuss.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

LE GRANDE MARCHE

Last Saturday, July 18th, my friends headed to Kpalime to see the waterfalls. I did not join them because I had not been feeling well and was not up for a car ride. Feeling much better on Saturday I joined a group heading to the big market. We headed out, a couple from New Zealand (who flew in with me), a nurse from the UK, and a seamstress from Sierra Leone. Our mission was to find soccer outfits, fabric, and experience the market.  I would have been lost if it not for Alicemaude. She goes to the market every week and knows the prices. We headed out for the fabric first. Too many to choose from and so beautiful. I was glad I had already found my fabric.  The search was on for one specific pattern for a good price.

In the midst of us looking for this fabric we walked through the meat market so to speak. I saw them unloading a full body, skinned animal, heads of animals, live chickens in basket on head of people. The meat was not cows like here in the states but either goats or dogs. We also walked through the fish market. They had live large snails, crabs, and fish. It was cool to see the crabs, but the smell and the snails made my stomach turn. The fish was not very fresh, covered in flies, and dried out. I just had to hold my breath.

While walking and looking for material, I was able to get my Togoliese soccer outfits for my nephews. We started at one shop but he did not have 3 in the same size or even three little ones. He took me down to his other shop which had them and quoted me 5000 CFAs which I thought was a pretty good price because the first time I went to the market I was quote 10000 CFAs for one. Alice heard the price and right away starting saying to the guy it is too high and come down. Eventually we got a price of 10000 CFAs for all three. Alice was happy with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment