About Me

My photo
I have been the Pre-Kindergarten Teacher at Loudonville Christian School for 4 years. I have a degree in Early Childhood Education as well as a degree in Liberal Arts. I have taught a variety of grades but enjoy teaching Pre–K the best. I enjoy seeing students learn new things. I have 3 siblings and 7 nieces and nephews. I am originally from Boston, love the ocean and the BOSTON RED SOX. One of my favorite units to teach is Dr. Seuss.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

HERE I AM

My journey to Africa began on Wednesday afternoon when I left NY to head to Stoughton, MA for two days before getting on the plane. Thursday the day was spent packing, and repacking, trying on skirts, seeing friends and family, and trying to get contacts shipped. Friday, was another day spent with packing and repacking, a prayer breakfast, and dinner with my aunts, uncles, and cousin (who is heading to Honduras in a week for a missions trip). Then it was time to head to the airport. I got there with my three bags, (one of which held my backpack and laptop) praying that my luggage going under the plane was under 23 kilos. My first on passed with no problem, second one I was holding my breath, just made it. My carry-on I separated into two because they told me it was too heavy.


So I left my mom and dad at security (mom wanted to come to the gate) with a few tears but for me that is good and headed to the gate. At the gate I receive three phone calls; one from mom, one from some of my accountability girls and one from my sister Kristin. Time to board the plane and begin the journey of a lifetime. As I approached my seat I noticed that I was sitting with a mom and two kids, right up my alley. I pulled out two books for them to look at but ended up reading them to the children. This opened up a lot of conversation from the little girl who is going into third grade. She told me all about the book she is reading, and how to find when a book was written, and all about her penguin report.

The plane ride to Paris was pretty uneventful after that point because I sleep the entire time. I woke up just in time for breakfast although for me it was 4 am but in Paris it was 10am (I think). I got to Paris and made my way to where my next flight was leaving from. When I got to the gate area, I saw to girls sitting talking and one of them was wearing a Mercy Ships shirt so I went over to introduce myself. One of them is working with the dental crew (Julie) and the other is working in the Academy with me (MariJo), both live in Ohio. As we were sitting in the airport, we looked for others who were joining Mercy Ships. When we were boarding we met 4 others who were traveling with us. This leg of the flight I was more awake for. I did sleep for part of it but not all of it. There was a cute little boy on my flight here who just made me melt with his smile. He walked over to me in the airport (he tried to open my suitcase). He sat in front of me on the plane heading to Lome. At this point I am done sitting on the plane and I just want to move around. We left Paris at 2:25pm and arrived at 6:36pm that is a two hour time difference from Paris and a 4 hour difference from home.

NOW to get through the visa line, find our luggage, and get through customs. Getting through the visa and passport line was easy. They looked at our passports but when they saw our Mercy Ship paper work they were like ok Stamp, stamp. I HAVE A STAMP IN MY PASSPORT. Finding our luggage was another story altogether. The Togo airport has a carousel not one but two for luggage but the carousels do not connect and they were unloading luggage on both. We started in one spot but didn’t find or see our luggage, so we moved to the other one (at this point still thinking that they both connect) One of us found our bags, the rest of us were still waiting. I want to say that it was 30 minutes before I found my bags. It was still a while before we found the last of the luggage which was on the other carousel. Now it was time to go through customs. Whose bag got flag? You guessed it…mine. OK so we made it through customs and walked out to the greeting area and were met by 5 Africa Mercy crew members. They were a welcome sight.

Time to head to the ship. We pile our luggage into Land Rovers and get into the waiting vehicles. Off we go! Driving through the street to the port was and experience. Living in NH I have seen people riding motorcycles without helmet ( I have) but never have I seen 4 people on a bike, carrying packages, babies, or children in front on the driver. The motorcycles also didn’t all have headlights, if not for this I would have felt that I was in Laconia, NH for Motorcycle week. Driving along the street, I saw people watching the World Cup on TV’s set up outside and along the street, aluminum siding houses, some only on three sides, people cooking outside, and children. As we pulled into the port on one side you saw a French Naval Ship and the Africa Mercy on the other. Our luggage was brought on board and then we were given our name badges and shown to our rooms. I am rooming with Mari Jo and Becca (a nurse from Indiana) we have one more roommate coming this week. Becca is serving for 2 years on board the Africa Mercy. After unpacking and sending an email to people letting them know I got here, I went to bed. I will let you all know about the ship in a future blog. I am heading to see the Academy in a few.

Trusting in Him,

Heather

1 comment:

  1. Hey! So glad to hear that you have arrived! Praise the Lord for safety and for His provision and protection for you! We are thankful that you and your luggage arrived and you are now able to get adjusted for God's work!

    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete